http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6001717n
did you guys see this?
what do you think?
it is only about 15 min long.

Tags: Bartholomew, Ecumenical, Patriarch

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I enjoyed it but they could have really said much, much more about Christian persecution in Turkey.
well it is amazing that anything was said at all. Bartholomew is smart, if too much was said it could make things worse in Turkey. We will see what happens.
Interesting video. My church recently caught my ear during the announcements when they mentioned that one of the ministries they support is an evangelical church in Turkey. They plan on starting construction on a church building soon but could not elaborate for fear of retaliation.
I really loved the interview. I was surprised to see the Patriarch on the program and, like Ots, wish more would've been said about specific persecutions.
Good interview, but I have difficulties with the patriarchal-ness of non-protestant Christianity. The pope and bishops are seen almost as mini-gods. Maybe not to the truly devote, but to the masses they are. People seek them out, kiss their hands, and confess to them as though they were gods. Elevating a man who is obviously not God does harm, I believe, to the perceived spiritual worth of the followers. "He is so holy! I could never be like that." They fail, as a result, to see that holiness comes only from Christ and is equally imparted (available) to all who believe. There is so much pomp and circumstance that Christ gets lost, and so do His followers.
Quite a judgement you have pronounced.

Travis Martin said:
Good interview, but I have difficulties with the patriarchal-ness of non-protestant Christianity. The pope and bishops are seen almost as mini-gods. Maybe not to the truly devote, but to the masses they are. People seek them out, kiss their hands, and confess to them as though they were gods. Elevating a man who is obviously not God does harm, I believe, to the perceived spiritual worth of the followers. "He is so holy! I could never be like that." They fail, as a result, to see that holiness comes only from Christ and is equally imparted (available) to all who believe. There is so much pomp and circumstance that Christ gets lost, and so do His followers.
I understand your viewpoint, but please don't just lump all non-protestants into a pigeonhole. The same way that many protestants don't want to be associated with other protestants, please don't imply that the EOC has a pope or that it has any sort of papal structure. This is incorrect. That was another problem I had with the interview: they explained that he was like a "pope" to the Orthodox faithful. Incorrect, he is a bishop.

Travis Martin said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

Linkologica

Blog Resources

Arminian Today

Anyabwile

Bock

Called to Communion

Challies

Classical Arminianism

Craig

Christian Answers For The New Age

Christians in Context

Conversation Diary (catholic)

Continuationism.com (marv & scott)

Desiring God blog

DeYoung

First Things

Fr. Stephen (eastern orthodox)

Internet Monk

KJV Only Debate (jason s.)

Köstenberger

Lisa Robinson - TheoThoughts

Mohler

McKnight

National Catholic Register (catholic)

Parchment & Pen

Pierce

Re-Fundamentals

Resurgence

Roberts

Roger Olson

Taylor

Team Pyro

The Apologist's Pen

Untamed Spirituality

WDTPRS (catholic)

Witherington

Theological Resources

BioLogos

Center for Reformed Study and Apologetics

Creeds and Confessions

Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Council of Biblical Manhood and Womenhood (complementarian)

The Center for Bibical Equality (Egalitarian)

Evangelical Theological Society

Monergism.com

Reclaiming the Mind Ministries

Society of Evangelical Arminians

Theopedia

Theological Word of The Day

Tyndale House Bulletin

Church History

Early Christian Writings

Glimpes of Church History

Christian Traditions

Book of Concord

Catholic.com

Eastern Orthodox

Orthodox Catechism

Apologetics

CARM

Lennox

Reasonable Faith

RZIM

Stand to Reason

Tektonics

Bible Study

Bible Gateway

Bible Researcher

Blue Letter Bible

Bible.org

IVP New Testament Commentaries Online

Online Bible and Theology Education

Biblical Training

The Theology Program

Theology and Bible MP3s

Covenant Seminary

263 Theology Questions and Answers

Veritas Forum

Theologica Chat Room

MiRC Chat

Badge

Loading…

Get the Widget

Sponsor

Bible Options

© 2014   Created by Michael Patton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

/*============================================================================================ /*============================================================================================