Theologica

a bible, theology, politics, news, networking, and discussion site

Thanks for joining Theologica.

One thing that I want to make sure of is that the conversations here move in a meaningful way. It is very difficult to moderate the question "What is meaningful?" but we will take liberties to do so nonetheless.

What is Meaningful?

1. Not closed minded. If you already know everything, this is probably not the place for you. Hundreds of people together who already know everything yet differ about what they know can quickly detract from meaning. (Me and my wife do this all the time.) In other words, if you have an agenda to use this forum as a highly visible teaching venue to promote aberrant teachings without intending to learn in community this is not the place for you.

2. Not self-promoting. We don't mind you letting others know about how smart you are, but do so sparingly.

3. Not characterized by mass amounts of cut-and-paste proof-texting. We all love the Bible, but just posting Scriptures one after the other often become counter-productive.

4. Not characterized by mass amounts of cut-and-paste from other places. You can repost something you have posted somewhere else, but do so in the appropriate places. If it is really long and article-like, it is a blog. If it is short and meant to create discussion or ask questions, it goes on the forum.

5. Irenic. You are kind, gentle, respectful, and understanding, accurately representing opposing parties, even when you disagree. As hard as that seems, buffet your tongue (or keyboard) here.

6. Not slanderous. All slanderous content naturally violates #5. You will be quickly and eternally (relatively speaking) banned from the site for slander.

7. No Spamming. Spamming can be starting multiple posts or blogs one after the other. Posting cut-and-paste material on everyone's personal pages also qualifies. We are not limiting the amount of posts that you can contribute or how much interaction you can have with each other (this is a networking site), but we will identify spam and delete it nonetheless (we have secret spam decoder rings). Please do not spam the blogs either. Limit yourself to one blog post per day.

8. Perpetual Venting Bitterness. You know what this looks like. If you don't, we will let you know. I know we all have to vent sometimes, but don't become a "venter."

9. Not disruptive. The purpose of Theologica is to generate meaningful discussion within the members and under the purview of the moderators. That being the case we want to maintain a spirit of respect between members and moderators in regards to identity, user name, avatars, personal information, and content. Note: Causing confusion and disruption includes (by its very nature) trolling.

You will not get banned for bad theology. Everyone is welcome to be wrong. Hopefully our community will be able to engage the bad theology meaningfully.

For a complete guide to perfect theology consult someone of the post-mortem variety. If none are available, please realize that you are limited in your understanding. If you don't realize this, please start your own site.

The formers of Theologica identify with historic Christianity, believing in the centrality of the person and work of Jesus Christ. We will moderate with His glory in mind.

Anyone who holds to historic Christianity, can blog here. Those who don't please stick with the forums.

Welcome and may God be glorified in how we conduct ourselves.

To report issues or ask questions, please look to the footer of this site for the appropriate links.

For more about how to conduct yourself on the internet see Blogging to the Glory Shame of God.

Tags: discussion, moderation, roe, rules, theologica, theological

Views: 681

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good solid rules of engagement. I will strive to honor them and facilitate the irenic exchange of thoughts and ideas. Blessings to all!
Hate to be dis-irenic, but I just refuse to talk with dead people. What do they know there that I need to know here? Oh well.

Gary

Michael Patton said:
I mean dead people. They have crossed to the other side and know a lot more :)
Dear Michael Todd,

Sounds good to me. Count me in.

Gary Cummings
Yes, Theologica is a Christian theological discussion site (or at least we try to be!)

God bless.
xulon said:

From http://theologica.ning.com/page/about-us in response to the "but":
"Only Christians post blogs. Heretics, other religions, and aliens can post all they want on the forums, in the groups, and on each other's walls, but we have reserved the blogs for Christians (not Mormons, JWs, or others who fall outside of historic Christianity as defined above"

But, yeah, it's getting old and doesn't seem to be going anywhere, huh?
Thing is, posting all one wants is one thing. Posting all one wants about things other than (true) theology is another. The site is dedicated to theology. If someone wants to learn and posts to learn or discuss (true) theology, no matter their faith or lack there of, wonderful!

That is, unless the forum is also for heretical apologetics and/or griping and I misunderstood the rules and intent of the site. That's also a possibility.

Hmmmm?

David Zierenberg said:
xulon said:

From http://theologica.ning.com/page/about-us in response to the "but":
"Only Christians post blogs. Heretics, other religions, and aliens can post all they want on the forums, in the groups, and on each other's walls, but we have reserved the blogs for Christians (not Mormons, JWs, or others who fall outside of historic Christianity as defined above"

But, yeah, it's getting old and doesn't seem to be going anywhere, huh?
Or, maybe better put, Theological is a Christian founded discussion site ran by an Evangelical ministry.
I once heard a wise person say something to this effect: There is no 'Christian' theology, only theology. Theology is the pursuit for truth about God, His interactions with mankind and His revelation concerning Himself followed by the practical applications on our everyday life. But we, as Christians, believe that the Christian theological message as seen in Christ and expounded in Scripture is the greatest explanation of true theology.

Something like that.

It's similar to my thoughts that there is no 'Christian music'. If a non-Christian plays an E-chord, it is formed with the triad E-G#-B. And when a Christian plays an E-chord, oddly enough, it is formed with the same triad chord. But what Christians do is look to take that E-chord, along with many other chords and notes, and utilise it for honouring God, displaying His glory, and communicating truth. We get the upperhand (or should).

Ok, I'm going off on a rabbit trail now. But just some food for thought.
There's already a recent two kingdoms thread.

xulon said:
Maybe this would be a great thread, but in this context, I think it misses the point.

ScottL said:
I once heard a wise person say something to this effect: There is no 'Christian' theology, only theology....

It's similar to my thoughts that there is no 'Christian music'. If a non-Christian plays an E-chord, it is formed with the triad E-G#-B. And when a Christian plays an E-chord, oddly enough, it is formed with the same triad chord....

I signed up with my "full name" because that's what the system seemed to require.  But I don't really want that appearing openly all the time, and I see virtually no one else here showing up that way.  Do I get to have a visible "username" distinct from my sign-up name, or must I edit the name by which I signed up?

You don't have to sign up as your full name. Simply click on the tab at the top of the site called "My Page". On your personal page you will see your name at the top. Click on your name and edit as needed.

ModOptimus

Theologica Moderator

Thank you!  I will change to one of my preferred forum names forthwith.

ModOptimus said:

You don't have to sign up as your full name. Simply click on the tab at the top of the site called "My Page". On your personal page you will see your name at the top. Click on your name and edit as needed.

ModOptimus

Theologica Moderator

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

Linkologica

Blog Resources

Arminian Today

Anyabwile

Bock

Called to Communion

Challies

Classical Arminianism

Craig

Christian Answers For The New Age

Christians in Context

Conversation Diary (catholic)

Continuationism.com (marv & scott)

Desiring God blog

DeYoung

First Things

Fr. Stephen (eastern orthodox)

Internet Monk

KJV Only Debate (jason s.)

Köstenberger

Lisa Robinson - TheoThoughts

Mohler

McKnight

National Catholic Register (catholic)

Parchment & Pen

Pierce

Re-Fundamentals

Resurgence

Roberts

Roger Olson

Taylor

Team Pyro

The Apologist's Pen

Untamed Spirituality

WDTPRS (catholic)

Witherington

Theological Resources

BioLogos

Center for Reformed Study and Apologetics

Creeds and Confessions

Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Council of Biblical Manhood and Womenhood (complementarian)

The Center for Bibical Equality (Egalitarian)

Evangelical Theological Society

Monergism.com

Reclaiming the Mind Ministries

Society of Evangelical Arminians

Theopedia

Theological Word of The Day

Tyndale House Bulletin

Church History

Early Christian Writings

Glimpes of Church History

Christian Traditions

Book of Concord

Catholic.com

Eastern Orthodox

Orthodox Catechism

Apologetics

CARM

Lennox

Reasonable Faith

RZIM

Stand to Reason

Tektonics

Bible Study

Bible Gateway

Bible Researcher

Blue Letter Bible

Bible.org

IVP New Testament Commentaries Online

Online Bible and Theology Education

Biblical Training

The Theology Program

Theology and Bible MP3s

Covenant Seminary

263 Theology Questions and Answers

Veritas Forum

Theologica Chat Room

MiRC Chat

Badge

Loading…

Get the Widget

Sponsor

Bible Options

© 2014   Created by Michael Patton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

/*============================================================================================ /*============================================================================================