Theologica

a bible, theology, politics, news, networking, and discussion site

Theologica is largely populated with American posters. A cursory glance reveals a high degree of patriotism and defense of the USA's actions in the world since WWII. (Hopefully this is not too much of a hasty conclusion.) Concomitant with this is the concept that God is behind what the USA does. 

So,

Is God American?

Does he view the rest of the world in terms of US foreign policy?

Is does God consider "collateral damage" to be just that?

The USA has not always existed, so has God changed his allegiance to the varying world empires: Persian, Grecian, Roman Byzantium/Ottoman, British?

What of those who have resisted Empires in the past, and what of those who resist USA foreign policy? Are they evil in God's eyes?

Consider this quote:

Xenophanes (560?-478? B.C) argued, "Mortals deem that gods are begotten as they are, and have clothes like theirs, and voice and form ... yes, and if oxen and horses or lions had hands, and could paint with their hands, and produce works of art as men do, horses would paint forms of gods like horses, and oxen like oxen, and make their bodies in the image of their several kinds.... The Ethiopians make their gods black and snub nosed; the Thracians say theirs have blue eyes and red hair."

Do we constantly commit a form of mental/conceptual idolatry? Have we all anthropomorphized God?

Tags: america, empire, god, idolatry, usa, war

Views: 245

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

..and that his name was Hitler.

Harry said:
The Germans soldiers in World War 1 had on their belt buckles "Gott mit uns", they thought that God was a German.
Robert, I have seen this sorta thing. I think it is idolatry disguised as patriotism. And considering (IMO) that America is not even mentioned in prophecy, I would say a definate no to God being American. Rather, I believe he is on his own side and aids those who side with him, working to fulfill his purposes with the COMMON GOOD in mind.

Yes this is a very clear cut example of the phenomenon. 

The Jews fell in and out of this as well. Jesus tried to counter it by talking about the great faith of the Roman Centurian and the widow of Zerephath.

Harry said:

The Germans soldiers in World War 1 had on their belt buckles "Gott mit uns", they thought that God was a German.

Yes that was the reality of it.

With the rise of Thule in Germany, doubtless many were actually worshipping metaphysical Odin (Woten), through the physical presence of Hitler.

(People have always worshipped other people. Likely many of the gods of the pantheons were originally humans that started as hero worship. Even today, in the UK people seem to literally worship celebrities and sports stars.)

(I also think it is a disturbing sight seeing the crowds throng the pope when he makes an appearance at the vatican etc. It is not hard to contrast this with Peter's response when they bowded down to him [the alleged first pope]--get up on your feet. I am a man like you [Acts 10:26]. )

Raquel said:

..and that his name was Hitler.

Harry said:

It is not mentioned directly is it? But how could it be at that time? Perhaps ancient people had an idea about a land to the west (likely that some Celts and Scandinavians went there), but it had little significance at that time.

If we argue that the gathering of the nations at Har Megiddo is literal future event, then it is implied that forces from the USA will be there. In fact, given what happens--especially seen in Lybia, if 'Kings of the East' did attack Israel any time in the foreseeable future, then the USA will also get involved.

Tim said:

Robert, I have seen this sorta thing. I think it is idolatry disguised as patriotism. And considering (IMO) that America is not even mentioned in prophecy, I would say a definate no to God being American. Rather, I believe he is on his own side and aids those who side with him, working to fulfill his purposes with the COMMON GOOD in mind.
It seems apropos to point out that if it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!

(Also, WHERE'S YA KILT, YA SISSYLALA?)
If it's still here.  I mean whether as America or the New China or something.  THAT'S always possible.  Help! :-S

ROBERT O'NEILL said:

It is not mentioned directly is it? But how could it be at that time? Perhaps ancient people had an idea about a land to the west (likely that some Celts and Scandinavians went there), but it had little significance at that time.

If we argue that the gathering of the nations at Har Megiddo is literal future event, then it is implied that forces from the USA will be there. In fact, given what happens--especially seen in Lybia, if 'Kings of the East' did attack Israel any time in the foreseeable future, then the USA will also get involved.

Tim said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

Linkologica

Blog Resources

Arminian Today

Anyabwile

Bock

Called to Communion

Challies

Classical Arminianism

Craig

Christian Answers For The New Age

Christians in Context

Conversation Diary (catholic)

Continuationism.com (marv & scott)

Desiring God blog

DeYoung

First Things

Fr. Stephen (eastern orthodox)

Internet Monk

KJV Only Debate (jason s.)

Köstenberger

Lisa Robinson - TheoThoughts

Mohler

McKnight

National Catholic Register (catholic)

Parchment & Pen

Pierce

Re-Fundamentals

Resurgence

Roberts

Roger Olson

Taylor

Team Pyro

The Apologist's Pen

Untamed Spirituality

WDTPRS (catholic)

Witherington

Theological Resources

BioLogos

Center for Reformed Study and Apologetics

Creeds and Confessions

Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Council of Biblical Manhood and Womenhood (complementarian)

The Center for Bibical Equality (Egalitarian)

Evangelical Theological Society

Monergism.com

Reclaiming the Mind Ministries

Society of Evangelical Arminians

Theopedia

Theological Word of The Day

Tyndale House Bulletin

Church History

Early Christian Writings

Glimpes of Church History

Christian Traditions

Book of Concord

Catholic.com

Eastern Orthodox

Orthodox Catechism

Apologetics

CARM

Lennox

Reasonable Faith

RZIM

Stand to Reason

Tektonics

Bible Study

Bible Gateway

Bible Researcher

Blue Letter Bible

Bible.org

IVP New Testament Commentaries Online

Online Bible and Theology Education

Biblical Training

The Theology Program

Theology and Bible MP3s

Covenant Seminary

263 Theology Questions and Answers

Veritas Forum

Theologica Chat Room

MiRC Chat

Badge

Loading…

Get the Widget

Sponsor

Bible Options

© 2014   Created by Michael Patton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

/*============================================================================================ /*============================================================================================