Theologica

a bible, theology, politics, news, networking, and discussion site

Here is something you hear repeated frequently: "the Holy Spirit does not call attention to Himself."

My question is where is this proposition taught in the Bible. I am guessing it comes mainly from the KJV rendering of John 16:13:

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Is there any other place in the Bible that makes such a statement or appears to?

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello marv,

I have never heard it said. Have i missed something.

p.
It's something Trinitarians say.

I think I've heard it also in relation to these verses, But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: John 15:26

And in continuation of the verse you chose:

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. John 16:13-14

The Spirit's interest is to glorify and/or testify of the Son and to speak the mind of God.

Piglet said:
Hello marv,

p.
Well, just google it and you'll find it.

Piglet said:
Hello marv,

p.
Yes, I understand, but that isn't exactly what I'm asking. Though I think, yes, those verses are also used as support as if they were saying the same thing. The Scriptures says a number of things the Spirit WILL do. The question is specifically about a statement of what the Holy Spirit WILL NOT do.

Jesus also testified about the Father, and He glorified the Father, and He spoke the message of the Father. This does not mean that He did not make statements about Himself, discuss Himself. People use the statement I cite to suggest that the Holy Spirit does discuss Himself.

Carol Jean said:
It's something Trinitarians say.

I think I've heard it also in relation to these verses, But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: John 15:26

And in continuation of the verse you chose:

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. John 16:13-14

The Spirit's interest is to glorify and/or testify of the Son and to speak the mind of God.

Piglet said:
Hello marv,

p.
Jesus said, in John 16:14 "He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you."
In v13, which you quoted, "...He shall not speak of Himself.." I initially understood that the Holy Spirit would never speak about Himself. However, if this were correct, then He could not inspire scriptural teachings about the Holy Spirit. Therefore, "...not speak of Himself.." meant that The Holy spirit would not speak on His own authority, but rather, He would share the things that Christ, the Son, gave Him to say.
The Holy Spirit did not come on His own authority, but was sent by the Father and the son, to glorify the Son.
HOW did the Holy Spirit speak? He inspired the prophets, and inspired the scripture, so it is the word of God, rather than men's ideas or traditions. Also, He speaks to our hearts, convicting us, regenerating believers, and illuminates the scriptures to the believing hearers/readers.
Right, of course.

Well, where I am going with this is that I think there is a kind of mythoid abroad that one sure-fire way to know that X event is not by the Holy Spirit is if it "calls attention to the HS." I was mulling it over and I figure that it all comes from this one verse, from a misunderstanding of it (AV strikes again). Absolutely "speak OF himself" sounds like it means "speak about Himself," but it doesn't, it absolutely doesn't. It means "from Himself."

I know He's here on a mission, here to glorify Christ, to point to Christ, and to speak what He hears. But none of that means that He doesn't act in a way that might make Him pretty noticeable on occasion.

But maybe there's another verse I'm not thinking of. So I'm having you all do my research for me.

Jack said:
Jesus said, in John 16:14 "He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you."
In v13, which you quoted, "...He shall not speak of Himself.." I initially understood that the Holy Spirit would never speak about Himself. However, if this were correct, then He could not inspire scriptural teachings about the Holy Spirit. Therefore, "...not speak of Himself.." meant that The Holy spirit would not speak on His own authority, but rather, He would share the things that Christ, the Son, gave Him to say.
The Holy Spirit did not come on His own authority, but was sent by the Father and the son, to glorify the Son.
I guess I don't know what you're looking for.

But the Spirit came in a big way on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2. It did't go unnoticed.

Marv said:
Right, of course.

Well, where I am going with this is that I think there is a kind of mythoid abroad that one sure-fire way to know that X event is not by the Holy Spirit is if it "calls attention to the HS." I was mulling it over and I figure that it all comes from this one verse, from a misunderstanding of it (AV strikes again). Absolutely "speak OF himself" sounds like it means "speak about Himself," but it doesn't, it absolutely doesn't. It means "from Himself."

I know He's here on a mission, here to glorify Christ, to point to Christ, and to speak what He hears. But none of that means that He doesn't act in a way that might make Him pretty noticeable on occasion.

But maybe there's another verse I'm not thinking of. So I'm having you all do my research for me.

Jack said:
No, I mean, you gave me some verses that relate to the concept. I'm fishing for verses. As I say, I think one single verse has kind of put a misleading spin on things. But if I'm missing something, another passage that is behind the "the HS doesn't draw attention to Himself" thing, I thought surely someone will lay it on me.

Good point about the Pentecost thing. It does seem as if He made His presence known in no uncertain terms.

Carol Jean said:
I guess I don't know what you're looking for.

But the Spirit came in a big way on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2. It did't go unnoticed.

Marv said:
Right, of course.

Jack said:
I've never sensed that people would say that the HS would not speak about Himself. Rather, I hear mainly emphasised is that He came to be all about the Son. Hence, we shouldn't emphasise and revel in His works/gifts/power/etc. I think it does come from the afore mentioned passages of John's Gospel. But probably misunderstood or maybe mis-emphasised.
Pentecost refutes that "the Holy Spirit does not call attention to himself". I see it on a par with, "God helps those who help themselves", not biblical. The Nicene Creed tells us the the Holy Spirit,"with the Father and the Son, He is worshiped and glorified".
The one that occurred to me was "cleanliness is next to godliness."

It's one of the weaker arguments out there, but it's in the air, one of these little bits of fluff that float in the air currents. But it lets a number of people dismiss just about any possiblity of an overt work of the Holy Spirit they wish. Or so it seems to me.
see Marv,

it hasn't been that bad.

Maybe if the spirit was not a 'person' it would be easier to be inconspicuous. (well some say the spirit is, so i have heard.)

p

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

Linkologica

Blog Resources

Arminian Today

Anyabwile

Bock

Called to Communion

Challies

Classical Arminianism

Craig

Christian Answers For The New Age

Christians in Context

Conversation Diary (catholic)

Continuationism.com (marv & scott)

Desiring God blog

DeYoung

First Things

Fr. Stephen (eastern orthodox)

Internet Monk

KJV Only Debate (jason s.)

Köstenberger

Lisa Robinson - TheoThoughts

Mohler

McKnight

National Catholic Register (catholic)

Parchment & Pen

Pierce

Re-Fundamentals

Resurgence

Roberts

Roger Olson

Taylor

Team Pyro

The Apologist's Pen

Untamed Spirituality

WDTPRS (catholic)

Witherington

Theological Resources

BioLogos

Center for Reformed Study and Apologetics

Creeds and Confessions

Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Council of Biblical Manhood and Womenhood (complementarian)

The Center for Bibical Equality (Egalitarian)

Evangelical Theological Society

Monergism.com

Reclaiming the Mind Ministries

Society of Evangelical Arminians

Theopedia

Theological Word of The Day

Tyndale House Bulletin

Church History

Early Christian Writings

Glimpes of Church History

Christian Traditions

Book of Concord

Catholic.com

Eastern Orthodox

Orthodox Catechism

Apologetics

CARM

Lennox

Reasonable Faith

RZIM

Stand to Reason

Tektonics

Bible Study

Bible Gateway

Bible Researcher

Blue Letter Bible

Bible.org

IVP New Testament Commentaries Online

Online Bible and Theology Education

Biblical Training

The Theology Program

Theology and Bible MP3s

Covenant Seminary

263 Theology Questions and Answers

Veritas Forum

Theologica Chat Room

MiRC Chat

Badge

Loading…

Get the Widget

Sponsor

Bible Options

© 2014   Created by Michael Patton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

/*============================================================================================ /*============================================================================================