Theologica

a bible, theology, politics, news, networking, and discussion site

57 years old, married. In childhood was brought up with Methodist Church mainly in UK but also NSW Australia. However I would say I did not become a real believer till around age twenty and was baptised a while later.  After all this time I seem to have more questions and wonderings than at the start and this site looks like a place that might help. 

Views: 93

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome!

Welcome, Geoffrey.

Welcome to Theologica, Geoffrey. I hope that you find an excellent exchange of information and resources here for your "questions and wonderings."

Welcome, Geoffrey.

As an atheist, I have found the Theologicans remarkably thoughtful, patient and helpful, despite my awkward and persistent questioning.

Given you actually do have faith, I hope and believe you'll find some meaningful answers here.

Jax.

Jax,

Is it evenly vaguely possible that rather than atheism, Mark 9:24 best describes you? Why else subject yourself to all this talk of Jesus Christ, His Word and His church? And why do it so respectfully and thoughtfully? 

Jax Agnesson said:

Welcome, Geoffrey.

As an atheist, I have found the Theologicans remarkably thoughtful, patient and helpful, despite my awkward and persistent questioning.

Given you actually do have faith, I hope and believe you'll find some meaningful answers here.

Jax.

Close, EAL. But Spooky Mulder's 'I want to believe' is closer. Lol!

Perhaps you should start a thread, "I want to believe. Convince me."

Jax Agnesson said:

Nice idea, EAL, but I'm concerned that would just lead back to the tired old theist vs atheist endless and pointless attempts to 'prove' that God either does or doesn't exist. My agenda is about increasing understanding and respect between believers and non-believers.

Thanks for the thought, though. And hope yr studies are going well!

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Jax your comments made me think about why I actually do believe and though I can't give a neat and tidy answer I can say it was not a clear result of being taught in the Methodist church.  I couldn't remember (even as a young adult ) hearing a clear presentation of the good news of salvation.  Whatever they did teach seemed to go right over my head or in one ear and out the other.  However somebody must have said something that set the ball rolling because from my late teens (by which time I was no longer attending any kind of church) to about twenty I became very curious about Jesus and was often reading bits of the bible and yet not really getting it. It was a gradual process and conversations with a particular person who eventually invited me to a free church where the gospel was clearly preached. But even so I couldn't say at exactly what point I became a believer.  The more I heard the more sense it seemed to make and now I am convinced though still bewildered by a lot of what goes on in life,  and the seeming vagueness of the bible in lots of ways. I do wonder why God did not make things clearer. I find some of what the bible seems to teach quite hard and often think that Churches are misunderstanding certain things and unintentionaly misleading people. I am left with the feeling that God somehow enabled me to believe. And now that I do, a lot more things make sense but there is still a lot that doesn't to me. I hope I am not boring anyone!

You are not boring at all. 

Geoffrey Dunn said:

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Jax your comments made me think about why I actually do believe and though I can't give a neat and tidy answer I can say it was not a clear result of being taught in the Methodist church.  I couldn't remember (even as a young adult ) hearing a clear presentation of the good news of salvation.  Whatever they did teach seemed to go right over my head or in one ear and out the other.  However somebody must have said something that set the ball rolling because from my late teens (by which time I was no longer attending any kind of church) to about twenty I became very curious about Jesus and was often reading bits of the bible and yet not really getting it. It was a gradual process and conversations with a particular person who eventually invited me to a free church where the gospel was clearly preached. But even so I couldn't say at exactly what point I became a believer.  The more I heard the more sense it seemed to make and now I am convinced though still bewildered by a lot of what goes on in life,  and the seeming vagueness of the bible in lots of ways. I do wonder why God did not make things clearer. I find some of what the bible seems to teach quite hard and often think that Churches are misunderstanding certain things and unintentionaly misleading people. I am left with the feeling that God somehow enabled me to believe. And now that I do, a lot more things make sense but there is still a lot that doesn't to me. I hope I am not boring anyone!

Jax; I've received the impression that you're not an Athiest, but more like an Agnostic: One who knows that he doesn't know, or isn't sure of his position. This suggests an "open mind"; of one who is searching. this is a much better position, than one who is "locked in" to an errant position that will lead to everlasting regret. Peace and love to you.

Jax Agnesson said:

Nice idea, EAL, but I'm concerned that would just lead back to the tired old theist vs atheist endless and pointless attempts to 'prove' that God either does or doesn't exist. My agenda is about increasing understanding and respect between believers and non-believers.

Thanks for the thought, though. And hope yr studies are going well!

I think Jax and I have both considered this. It would have to be inviting and not challenging (I did too much challenging at the beginning of my sojourn here and put people's backs up). I would especially like to get responses from some of the many people on the site who do not often post, just to try to find out what in particular makes them feel as they do.

Sorry, Geoffrey, I'm forgetting my manners, such as they are - welcome!

E. A. Long said:

Perhaps you should start a thread, "I want to believe. Convince me."

Jax Agnesson said:

RSS

Sponsors

Birthdays

Linkologica

Blog Resources

Arminian Today

Anyabwile

Bock

Called to Communion

Challies

Classical Arminianism

Craig

Christian Answers For The New Age

Christians in Context

Conversation Diary (catholic)

Continuationism.com (marv & scott)

Desiring God blog

DeYoung

First Things

Fr. Stephen (eastern orthodox)

Internet Monk

KJV Only Debate (jason s.)

Köstenberger

Lisa Robinson - TheoThoughts

Mohler

McKnight

National Catholic Register (catholic)

Parchment & Pen

Pierce

Re-Fundamentals

Resurgence

Roberts

Roger Olson

Taylor

Team Pyro

The Apologist's Pen

Untamed Spirituality

WDTPRS (catholic)

Witherington

Theological Resources

BioLogos

Center for Reformed Study and Apologetics

Creeds and Confessions

Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Council of Biblical Manhood and Womenhood (complementarian)

The Center for Bibical Equality (Egalitarian)

Evangelical Theological Society

Monergism.com

Reclaiming the Mind Ministries

Society of Evangelical Arminians

Theopedia

Theological Word of The Day

Tyndale House Bulletin

Church History

Early Christian Writings

Glimpes of Church History

Christian Traditions

Book of Concord

Catholic.com

Eastern Orthodox

Orthodox Catechism

Apologetics

CARM

Lennox

Reasonable Faith

RZIM

Stand to Reason

Tektonics

Bible Study

Bible Gateway

Bible Researcher

Blue Letter Bible

Bible.org

IVP New Testament Commentaries Online

Online Bible and Theology Education

Biblical Training

The Theology Program

Theology and Bible MP3s

Covenant Seminary

263 Theology Questions and Answers

Veritas Forum

Theologica Chat Room

MiRC Chat

Badge

Loading…

Get the Widget

Sponsor

Bible Options

© 2014   Created by Michael Patton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

/*============================================================================================ /*============================================================================================