Theologica

a bible, theology, politics, news, networking, and discussion site

I was actually looking around for some input regarding the School of Supernatural Ministry out of Redding Ca.  I live in a smallish town and the local Healing Room is bringing in this year long school (they have a book list of 29 books, some of the authors, to me were very questionable or somewhat so)  I find that I like some of what Bill Johnson says, but compared to some of the really outlandish people out there, his ministry seems to have a good amount of somewhat confusing mixture.  I would love to see some of the error in some charismatic ministries articulated someplace.  I am looking for good sound biblical understanding in these crazy days we live in.  I love the word of God....I find that morally there are lines that are crossed that raise red flags for me, as well as theological issues, but it is so mixed up!  Any help would be appreciated.  I do believe that God speaks today by His Holy Spirit and I believe in the gifts of the Spirit, but it has become kind of crazy and confusing.  I am not enrolled in this school but many of the people I know are going to it.  I find it hard to explain why I am not into it.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Views: 316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you think you have to go to a school to learn a "gift", then it is not a gift from God, but a badge that you can wear to boost your pride and t6hen you can walk around boasting in some gibberish you learned in the 29 books.
What a gracious and rational comment.

bob johnson said:
If you think you have to go to a school to learn a "gift", then it is not a gift from God, but a badge that you can wear to boost your pride and t6hen you can walk around boasting in some gibberish you learned in the 29 books.
Valerie; St.Paul wrote that the Holy Spirit distributes gifts, severally, as He pleases, to every believer, for the building up of the body of Christ. I believe that He still distributes gifts to every believer, for the edification of the church. And, most certainly, these are not all miraculous, attention getting, sign gifts.

Valerie Schuetze said:
Of the material they are given to read, none is based on classical Christian understanding.  I find that they say *good things* to back up questionable practice such as reinstating someone like Todd Bentley to ministry from an adulterous affair.  There is often a lack of reverence, a lack of holiness...self named apostles, prophets, the Third Wave thing, angels, voluntary visits to heaven etc......I see good things mixed with some very bad things, and for those who are less informed in the scriptures, who can be swayed by a lot of noise and excitement, a fair bit of danger.  Sadly few who believe in the gifts today seem to be on sound biblical footing....but I wouldn't trade what I have known of God moving by His Spirit for an outlook that denies the gifts because of the crazy stuff. I find it difficult to put into words exactly why I feel that this kind of emphasis is not on track, and really wish I could.  I have only seen small bits of these ministries on line but that has been enough for me.
I'm in total agreement, Jack..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

Linkologica

Blog Resources

Arminian Today

Anyabwile

Bock

Called to Communion

Challies

Classical Arminianism

Craig

Christian Answers For The New Age

Christians in Context

Conversation Diary (catholic)

Continuationism.com (marv & scott)

Desiring God blog

DeYoung

First Things

Fr. Stephen (eastern orthodox)

Internet Monk

KJV Only Debate (jason s.)

Köstenberger

Lisa Robinson - TheoThoughts

Mohler

McKnight

National Catholic Register (catholic)

Parchment & Pen

Pierce

Re-Fundamentals

Resurgence

Roberts

Roger Olson

Taylor

Team Pyro

The Apologist's Pen

Untamed Spirituality

WDTPRS (catholic)

Witherington

Theological Resources

BioLogos

Center for Reformed Study and Apologetics

Creeds and Confessions

Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Council of Biblical Manhood and Womenhood (complementarian)

The Center for Bibical Equality (Egalitarian)

Evangelical Theological Society

Monergism.com

Reclaiming the Mind Ministries

Society of Evangelical Arminians

Theopedia

Theological Word of The Day

Tyndale House Bulletin

Church History

Early Christian Writings

Glimpes of Church History

Christian Traditions

Book of Concord

Catholic.com

Eastern Orthodox

Orthodox Catechism

Apologetics

CARM

Lennox

Reasonable Faith

RZIM

Stand to Reason

Tektonics

Bible Study

Bible Gateway

Bible Researcher

Blue Letter Bible

Bible.org

IVP New Testament Commentaries Online

Online Bible and Theology Education

Biblical Training

The Theology Program

Theology and Bible MP3s

Covenant Seminary

263 Theology Questions and Answers

Veritas Forum

Theologica Chat Room

MiRC Chat

Badge

Loading…

Get the Widget

Sponsor

Bible Options

© 2014   Created by Michael Patton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

/*============================================================================================ /*============================================================================================