Theologica

a bible, theology, politics, news, networking, and discussion site

Michael Patton has recently had a series of blogs about dumb statements that Christians make. I was wondering if "Take your burdens to the Lord and leave them there" might be one of them. I went to bed last night in a pretty good mood anticipating Christmas Eve and Christmas Day activities. I hoped to have a long night's sleep in order to have enough energy to get through it all. But I woke up three hours later with chest pains and a ton of stress over a long list of things that are burdening me. This got me thinking of the "Leave them there" song. I can't find the lyrics to that old song, but the phrase came to mind. I know it's uplifting, but what's up with that? We give our best at Christmas to those we love, but psychologically "dump on" Christ? From a practical sense, is "leaving them there" little more than avoidance of the issues white-washed as faith? How are we to use our trials and tribulations to grow our faith if we don't actually deal with them and confront them? Is the Holy Spirit not a comforter as you go through the storm as opposed to some rescuer from it? What are your thoughts? Is dumping your problems on God and not dealing with them a dumb statement?

Tags: burdens, stress, worry

Views: 587

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is some precedent for this thinking that has little to do with you personally confronting these things. I mean: "All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and 'you will find rest for your souls'. (Matt 11:27-29; Jer 6:16)

What I mean is that just because you're bringing your burdens to the Lord doesn't mean that you don't deal with the ramifications in your life. It reinforces the joy found in a conquering Gospel.
No, it gives me comfort if I truly let things go. Also, I tend to be my own worst enemy, in that I am a perfectionist and everything has to be just so; the result is that I drag off to bed at the end of a very long day completely exhausted. Is that anything that God requires? Absolutely not - I have enough large and lumpy problems without adding to the huge bag on my back. I liken the whole thing to my throwing myself at a brick wall at times. But I'm getting better.

Still, when things start to get to me, I do remember 1 Peter 5:6-8 and Psalm 55:22. It would seem that Jesus is offering peace and solace - a place to go that others who do not know him do not have.

This is not to advocate irresponsibility - simply that we share our trials with our Father, put them into perspective and know that he has all matters well in hand.
Rey Reynoso said:
What I mean is that just because you're bringing your burdens to the Lord doesn't mean that you don't deal with the ramifications in your life. It reinforces the joy found in a conquering Gospel.
If I were smart and eloquent, that's the way I would have said it. LOL It's kinda like a "gift" that Marv just sent me on my wall here. It was an umbrella for a rainy day (or 40). He was probably thinking of our recent flood discussions when he sent it. I was thinking of the forum post and what had woken me up. I think the Holy Spirit is kinda like an umbrella. He helps us weather the storm. But part of that "weathering the storm" is getting somewhere. It's progress. If we treat him like a "safe harbor" to run to, and we never go out and brave the seas, I'm not sure we are doing what we are called to. Part of this gets into our whole issue of how to deal with pain and suffering. I think the better lyrical response to our problems is "You've got a friend in me" or "I'll never walk alone" as opposed to "dump your problems on God and let Him deal with them." The later seems to suggest the kind of health and wealth everything-is-going-to-be-rosy kind of teaching of the Word-Faith guys. Christians have burdens though. They go through pain and suffering. Knowing that they don't have to do it alone is comfort. We can share them with others, and share them with the Great Comforter. They can offer support as we deal with it. The more you just postpone dealing with them though, the bigger the issues get. Not sure turning the Holy Spirit (or your fellow Christian) from being an umbrella and into a baggage carrier is theologically sound.

Daniel

H said:
No, it gives me comfort if I truly let things go.
I think in many ways, we equate the stress with the "burden". I'm all for letting go of the worry. That only makes things worse. I could have laid in bed and just stressed over everything. But I didn't. I got up and spent 90 minutes on the phone with my pastor/missionary friend in Kenya wishing him Merry Christmas and catching him up on events stateside. But it wasn't leaving the issues for him or God to deal with. Stress is a lot of baggage only if you let it become one. I have no problem in "dropping" that self-created load. Medically, I can't deal with it, so I refuse to do so. It causes the very chest pains and such that woke me up earlier. But there is a difference between me letting the Holy Spirit comfort me through my emotional baggage and me leaving the actual burdens somewhere (foot of the cross?) as if it was a sin that has been forgiven and can be forgotten.

Daniel

xulon said:
Maybe a hijack, but I think it's a shame that he deleted that last "stupid statement" blog and substituted a "safe" one.
Not sure any recent deletion was on purpose. They've been having server issues. What was the topic? The one on “If the Bible is Not Inerrant, then Christianity is False” is still there. Did I miss one?

Daniel

Burdens can create stress and worry - which can, in turn, sow doubt and fear. All I am saying, Daniel, is that God is our refuge, our help in time of trouble, a Mighty Fortress. All of the wonderful things that have been written about him - he is those things to his children. It's real. Sometimes we forget and have to ask him to help us retain perspective whether the load is self-inflicted or external to ourselves. Sometimes we have to ask for help to allow him to be what he has said he IS to us.

Yes, we deal with suffering (I do, you do), we deal with problems, we go through them, we strive for personal responsibility - but we do NOT walk through them alone. In all the many years I have been walking with God, he has never, ever let me down (suffered me to be moved). I may not understand everything that happens as it happens, but as I look back, I am awed - and I am sure many here have the same testimony.

And THAT is the difference that makes SUCH a difference in the lives of those who know Christ. The Lord is near.

Apolojedi (Daniel Eaton) said:
H said:
No, it gives me comfort if I truly let things go.
I think in many ways, we equate the stress with the "burden". I'm all for letting go of the worry. That only makes things worse. I could have laid in bed and just stressed over everything. But I didn't. I got up and spent 90 minutes on the phone with my pastor/missionary friend in Kenya wishing him Merry Christmas and catching him up on events stateside. But it wasn't leaving the issues for him or God to deal with. Stress is a lot of baggage only if you let it become one. I have no problem in "dropping" that self-created load. Medically, I can't deal with it, so I refuse to do so. It causes the very chest pains and such that woke me up earlier. But there is a difference between me letting the Holy Spirit comfort me through my emotional baggage and me leaving the actual burdens somewhere (foot of the cross?) as if it was a sin that has been forgiven and can be forgotten.

Daniel

H said:
And THAT is the difference that makes SUCH a difference in the lives of those who know Christ. The Lord is near.
I agree. That is why I thought the better lyrical response to time of trial is "You'll never walk alone." We can have peace and receive great comfort in knowing that He is in any "fiery furnace" with us. My whole point is that the "leave your burdens with God" kind of thinking is that it suggests that He walks our path for us as opposed to with us.

Daniel

Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.

And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say...

But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves.
God does not give us grace to endure worrying. But His grace is sufficient, when there is a genuine need.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Phil 4:6 ESV
Scripture does dot tell us to not deal with our problems, but rather, share you problem with God, then don't worry, knowing that He loves you, has a hedge about you, so nothing, outside His will, can touch you, and can fill your needs.... but deal with your problem, as the Lord leads you.
I Know! "Sounds so easy, don't it?" Well we learn to trust Him by practicing trust in Him.
Paul said "I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content".."I can do all things through through Christ which strengtheneth me." Phil 4:11, 13 KJV. It was his trials that enabled him to trust Christ, without worry.
It might sound "trite" But it is God's word, not mine.
xulon said:
"God is first and my spouse is second and other stupid statements"
Perhaps the deletion was a function of the site problems.
It was basically a recap of another piece he did on how his ministry almost cost him his marriage (or something like that). I still have it in archived in Google Reader if you want it. I can email it to you. :)

Daniel

But the carnal man sez: "After I get my money, my mansion, and my Mercedes, then I will really be able to seriously deal with this 'Kingdom of God' matter....I really mean it!"

Rey Reynoso said:
Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.

And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say...

But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves.
I like the image Mel Gibson presets in "The Passion." In the Garden, Peter cuts the guy's ear off and chaos erupts -swords and fists swinging, shouting - confusion everywhere. And the guy, (IIRC) on his knees and bleeding and no doubt, in plenty of pain, meets Jesus, and there's this peaceful tender moment of healing in the midst of the chaos.

I've only seen the movie once and that's the scene that sticks with me.

I'm not sure if that goes directly to the OP. Maybe it's not the same as leaving our burdens at the cross or whatever. I guess that seems more related to not worrying. And worry is a symptom of not trusting, so it seems that we should indeed leave our burdens with Jesus and trust, but it's hard to do. We leave our burdens there for a minute or two, then we run back to get them. George MacDonald wrote something like "Who would pick up a foul thing once they had dropped it," but we do it all the time. Paul says "Do not be anxious about anything" but in 2 Cor 11:28, the "pressure of my concern" sounds like anxiety to me, and Paul specifically admits to anxiety in Philippians 2:28. So we're in good company.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

Linkologica

Blog Resources

Arminian Today

Anyabwile

Bock

Called to Communion

Challies

Classical Arminianism

Craig

Christian Answers For The New Age

Christians in Context

Conversation Diary (catholic)

Continuationism.com (marv & scott)

Desiring God blog

DeYoung

First Things

Fr. Stephen (eastern orthodox)

 

Internet Monk

KJV Only Debate (jason s.)

 

Köstenberger

Lisa Robinson - TheoThoughts

Mohler

McKnight

National Catholic Register (catholic)

Parchment & Pen

Pierce

Re-Fundamentals

Resurgence

Roberts

Roger Olson

Taylor

Team Pyro

The Apologist's Pen

Untamed Spirituality

WDTPRS (catholic)

Witherington

 

Theological Resources

BioLogos

Center for Reformed Study and Apologetics

Creeds and Confessions

Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Council of Biblical Manhood and Womenhood (complementarian)

The Center for Bibical Equality (Egalitarian)

Evangelical Theological Society

Monergism.com

Reclaiming the Mind Ministries

Society of Evangelical Arminians

Theopedia

Theological Word of The Day

Tyndale House Bulletin

 

Church History

Early Christian Writings

Glimpes of Church History

 

Christian Traditions

Book of Concord

Catholic.com

Eastern Orthodox

Orthodox Catechism

 

Apologetics

CARM

Lennox

Reasonable Faith

RZIM

Stand to Reason

Tektonics

 

Bible Study

Bible Gateway

Bible Researcher

Blue Letter Bible

Bible.org

IVP New Testament Commentaries Online

 

Online Bible and Theology Education

Biblical Training

The Theology Program

 

Theology and Bible MP3s

Covenant Seminary

263 Theology Questions and Answers

Veritas Forum

 

Theologica Chat Room

MiRC Chat

Badge

Loading…

Get the Widget


Sponsor



Bible Options




© 2014   Created by Michael Patton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

/*============================================================================================ /*============================================================================================