Theologica

a bible, theology, politics, news, networking, and discussion site

I was speaking to my pastor last week (he's in Kenya, so this was a phone call) and talking about the death of learning in Christianity.  Seems that is particularly the case among the church leaders.  Once they preach a particular topic, you rarely hear them come back and say that they had it wrong before and have since learned something.  You don't just see it in Bible teachers either.  Have you ever tried to tell a politician or a school teacher that they were wrong?  They stopped learning long ago.  In our post-modern world, we've all become experts.  We talk more than we listen.  One of our stated goals here on Theologica is that we are all students.  So what was the last thing you learned that had any impact on you, and what was it?

Just today, I learned that I am not only a"Joneser", but also a "concordist".  I also learned about the four cycles of generations and have given some thought to how that might apply to priorities and politicians.  Realizing the things that shape my worldview allow me to see where I need to keep certain influences from having TOO much influence.  What about you?  Learned anything lately?
Daniel

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As if you didn't already know that.

James Gibbons said:
Also, in sanctified chat, char learned me that my mama was awesome, in spite of me.
We all sift Holly. Make a connection here, cut one off there. Even into old age.
I learned that you should water your plants in the morning. I always did them at night. Which didn't actually hurt them but I do as I read in gardening books and have since changed my ways.

ummm. I also learned that the Bahamas are riddled with blue holes which are incredibly cool suck-you-down-and-kill-you-if-the-tide-is-right holes.

and that doc martin is on pbs on thursday nights. rerun awesomeness.
I so love that series!!! Caroline Catz at her best!

Raquel said:
I learned that you should water your plants in the morning. I always did them at night. Which didn't actually hurt them but I do as I read in gardening books and have since changed my ways.

ummm. I also learned that the Bahamas are riddled with blue holes which are incredibly cool suck-you-down-and-kill-you-if-the-tide-is-right holes.

and that doc martin is on pbs on thursday nights. rerun awesomeness.
I've learned that the opposite of "crying wolf" exists. Once you've been unfairly called a racist, you can say the most racially motivated things and no one is going to challenge it.
See my problem isn't learning.. it is remembering. I know I have recently learned something...I just can't remember what it was.

I can't think of any of my time here when I'm not learning. It might not make me recant to something I've already learned but you should not have to recant to prove your learning, you can add to your bank of learning or see from a different vantage point. I understand opposing views or different views better and have a greater respect for them. I highly doubt on my major doctrinal beliefs or system I will ever depart because I did not commit easily to them in the first place.

I recently learned I would deny a dying sister in Christ a few swallows of water and then go on to justify it with scripture :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

Linkologica

Blog Resources

Arminian Today

Anyabwile

Bock

Called to Communion

Challies

Classical Arminianism

Craig

Christian Answers For The New Age

Christians in Context

Conversation Diary (catholic)

Continuationism.com (marv & scott)

Desiring God blog

DeYoung

First Things

Fr. Stephen (eastern orthodox)

Internet Monk

KJV Only Debate (jason s.)

Köstenberger

Lisa Robinson - TheoThoughts

Mohler

McKnight

National Catholic Register (catholic)

Parchment & Pen

Pierce

Re-Fundamentals

Resurgence

Roberts

Roger Olson

Taylor

Team Pyro

The Apologist's Pen

Untamed Spirituality

WDTPRS (catholic)

Witherington

Theological Resources

BioLogos

Center for Reformed Study and Apologetics

Creeds and Confessions

Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Council of Biblical Manhood and Womenhood (complementarian)

The Center for Bibical Equality (Egalitarian)

Evangelical Theological Society

Monergism.com

Reclaiming the Mind Ministries

Society of Evangelical Arminians

Theopedia

Theological Word of The Day

Tyndale House Bulletin

Church History

Early Christian Writings

Glimpes of Church History

Christian Traditions

Book of Concord

Catholic.com

Eastern Orthodox

Orthodox Catechism

Apologetics

CARM

Lennox

Reasonable Faith

RZIM

Stand to Reason

Tektonics

Bible Study

Bible Gateway

Bible Researcher

Blue Letter Bible

Bible.org

IVP New Testament Commentaries Online

Online Bible and Theology Education

Biblical Training

The Theology Program

Theology and Bible MP3s

Covenant Seminary

263 Theology Questions and Answers

Veritas Forum

Theologica Chat Room

MiRC Chat

Badge

Loading…

Get the Widget

Sponsor

Bible Options

© 2014   Created by Michael Patton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

/*============================================================================================ /*============================================================================================