Theologica

a bible, theology, politics, news, networking, and discussion site

Was our forefathers right or wrong when they opposed King George prior to American independence?

Would you have supported their efforts for our Christian heritage or opposed them and why?

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry but I resepctfully diasagree with you. The Declaration is not based on Christian principles. Thomas Jefferson was at best a diest who did not accept that Christ had been resurrected. He wrote a gospel account that ended with Christ being burried. Jefferson was influenced by Locke.

In fact the last line of the Declaration includes a phrase that reads "with a firm reliance on divine providence." Jefferson had to be persuaded to add that after he wrote the document. John Adams and Jefferson were political opposites however they were life long friends and John Adams prayed that Jefferson would become a Christian.

Rayner Markley said:
The Declaration of Independence is a political document that is consistent with Christian principles. It rejects the notion that citizens must obey rulers because God set them to rule and to oppose them is to oppose God's will. If God sets people to rule, well, He changes rulers quite often. And He uses people as agents of change, so the argument about opposing God's will is a washout.

Actually, I'm not convinced that God chooses and sets up rulers at all. Like the weather, political events have perfectly natural causes even though we may like to speak of God's role in such things.
Rayner may I suggest verses Dan2:21,37 John 19:1 and Romans 13:1f which are but a few that show that God not only rules over governments but he puts them in place. I believe Psalm 22:8 or 9 is also another.

Rayner Markley said:

Actually, I'm not convinced that God chooses and sets up rulers at all. Like the weather, political events have perfectly natural causes even though we may like to speak of God's role in such things.
Many of the Founding Fathers were not truly Christian but were Deitist such as Jefferson, Franklin, etc.
And especially Thomas Paine.

John, we agree that Jefferson wasn't an orthodox Christian believer, but we're talking about the document, not the man. The Declaration does refer to the Creator, and I'm not aware of anything inconsistent with Christian belief.
But I haven't looked closely. Please point out any inconsistencies that you see.

Yes, Scripture does say that God sets up rulers. That's what Bible authors and people of the time believed. They also believed that God gathered the clouds for rain (Gen. 9:14). It may be so, but He may do it by natural means. So, how do we properly speak of both natural and divine causes?
Seraphim, I agree, but mentioning the Creator isn't inconsistent with Christian beliefs. I'm looking for some inconsistency in the Declaration. Maybe it's there. Please point it out.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

Linkologica

Blog Resources

Arminian Today

Anyabwile

Bock

Called to Communion

Challies

Classical Arminianism

Craig

Christian Answers For The New Age

Christians in Context

Conversation Diary (catholic)

Continuationism.com (marv & scott)

Desiring God blog

DeYoung

First Things

Fr. Stephen (eastern orthodox)

Internet Monk

KJV Only Debate (jason s.)

Köstenberger

Lisa Robinson - TheoThoughts

Mohler

McKnight

National Catholic Register (catholic)

Parchment & Pen

Pierce

Re-Fundamentals

Resurgence

Roberts

Roger Olson

Taylor

Team Pyro

The Apologist's Pen

Untamed Spirituality

WDTPRS (catholic)

Witherington

Theological Resources

BioLogos

Center for Reformed Study and Apologetics

Creeds and Confessions

Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Council of Biblical Manhood and Womenhood (complementarian)

The Center for Bibical Equality (Egalitarian)

Evangelical Theological Society

Monergism.com

Reclaiming the Mind Ministries

Society of Evangelical Arminians

Theopedia

Theological Word of The Day

Tyndale House Bulletin

Church History

Early Christian Writings

Glimpes of Church History

Christian Traditions

Book of Concord

Catholic.com

Eastern Orthodox

Orthodox Catechism

Apologetics

CARM

Lennox

Reasonable Faith

RZIM

Stand to Reason

Tektonics

Bible Study

Bible Gateway

Bible Researcher

Blue Letter Bible

Bible.org

IVP New Testament Commentaries Online

Online Bible and Theology Education

Biblical Training

The Theology Program

Theology and Bible MP3s

Covenant Seminary

263 Theology Questions and Answers

Veritas Forum

Theologica Chat Room

MiRC Chat

Badge

Loading…

Get the Widget

Sponsor

Bible Options

© 2014   Created by Michael Patton.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

/*============================================================================================ /*============================================================================================